My needs for academic success and sleep are in constant competition with one another. Though I’d like to say that I always allow for both, my need for sleep wins out far too often for my liking. However, I have, over years of practice, compiled a list of ways to minimize academic stress and maximize sleep.
- Try to complete assignments ahead of schedule in an effort to avoid all-nighters.
- Come home and immediately critique your day. Talking or writing about all the things that went wrong as soon as you get home will clear your mind and keep those issues from popping into your head at bed time.
- Cook for your loved ones. Cooking is a constant in life … no matter what mood you’re in, when you add hot milk to butter and flour, it thickens. This constant can be a comfort on days when nothing else can be relied upon. Plus, cooking is a great way to bond with your loved ones, which will make you happier.
- Take a long, hot shower. The heat will melt your problems away and wash them down the drain. You’ll get out feeling clean and rejuvenated.
- Review your schedule for the next day and coordinate your outfit.
- Clear your mind for at least an hour before bed.
I hope these work for you!